By Randy Pierce
I’ve been keeping very busy for awhile now and the value of all aspects of my time is something about which I’ve become steadily more aware. This includes my approach to “down time”, relaxation and work in appropriate and necessary balance.
An email from a friend recently highlighted time management particularly well for me. It helps that there is a football connection in the report that legendary football coach Paul “Bear” Bryant carried the story in his wallet. NFL football has been one of my favorite means of relaxation and entertainment and for many reasons the quality of that time is something I’ve had cause to question more and more primarily due to the seeming malign or inept approach to many things in the NFL Management side of this entertainment outlet.
That is a topic for another time perhaps, but for now the story which gave me considerable thought is worthy of sharing with you despite coming from an unknown source. With my appreciation for Paul Bryant’s proliferation of this powerful message:
The Magic Bank Account
Imagine that you had won the following *PRIZE* in a contest:
Each morning your bank would deposit $86,400 in your private account for your personal use.
However, this prize has rules. The set of rules are as follow:
1. Everything that you don’t spend each day will be taken away from you.
2. You may not simply transfer money into some other account.
3. You may only spend it.
4. Each morning, upon awakening, the bank opens your account with another $86,400 for the new day.
5. The bank can end the game without warning; at any time it can say,“Game Over!” It can close the account and you will not receive a new one.
What would you personally do with your prize?
You would buy anything and everything you wanted right? Not only for yourself, but for all the people you love and care for. Even for people you don’t know, because you couldn’t possibly spend it all on yourself, right? You would try to spend every penny, and use it all, because you knew money would be replenished in the morning, right?
Actually, THIS GAME IS REAL. Shocked ? Yes! Each of us is already a winner of a much more valuable *PRIZE*. We just don’t seem to realize it.
The prize is *TIME*
1. Each morning we awaken to receive 86,400 seconds as a gift of life.
2. And when we go to sleep at night, any remaining time is NOT credited to us.
3. What we haven’t used up that day is forever lost.
4. Yesterday is forever gone.
5. Each morning the account is refilled, but the bank can dissolve your account at any time WITHOUT WARNING.
So, WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH YOUR 86,400 seconds today?
Those seconds are worth much, much more than the same amount in dollars. Think about it and remember to enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think.
So take care of yourself, be happy, love deeply and enjoy life! Here’s wishing you a wonderful and beautiful day. Start “spending” your valuable *PRIZE* wisely.